Workplace Discrimination Claims
Every employee has the right to work in an environment free of hostility and discrimination. If you feel you have been a victim of discrimination in the workplace, an experienced employment lawyer can help you determine whether you have legal grounds to file a civil claim.
The Law Firm of Stephen S. Burgoon represents clients in Frederick, Maryland, and the surrounding areas with all types of employment law matters. Having represented both employers and employees in matters of discrimination, attorney Stephen Burgoon brings a comprehensive understanding to help clients protect their rights.
Note that you cannot simply file a claim because of personal differences between you and a co-worker or your boss. Mr. Burgoon can help you determine whether the actions of others or of your employer have truly violated state or federal policies protecting employees against discrimination based on gender, race, age, disability, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or national origin.
Protecting Employees’ Rights Against Discrimination
Mr. Burgoon provides personalized guidance in all types of discrimination claims, including:
- Race discrimination such as racial slurs or comments, even those made “as a joke”
- Sexual harassment ranging from lewd comments to unwanted sexual advances
- Age discrimination against employees 40 and older in terms of receiving work hours or being hired or promoted
- Disability discrimination such as failing to make necessary accommodations required under the Americans With Disabilities (ADA) Act
- Repeated actions constituting a hostile work environment
- Retaliation or wrongful termination after reporting discriminatory actions to human resources or a government agency
Before filing a civil claim for discrimination, you must first file a claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the federal agency charged with protecting employees’ rights against discrimination in the workplace. Depending on the nature of your claim, you may also need to work with the Maryland Commission on Civil Rights, which investigates claims based on religious or sexual orientation discrimination.
Mr. Burgoon can guide you through this process, including taking your claim to state or federal court, if necessary. His knowledge and practical insight gleaned from 20 years of experience means you will have the necessary tools to build a strong defense of your rights.